Living In Victoria

victoria banner

Understanding Melbourne

Melbourne is a 1hour flight south from Sydney. Teachers arriving from overseas usually stay in the inner southern suburb of St Kilda, this area is ideal for travel into the city and all connections to public transport are excellent. Just keep in mind; distances are longer to travel to schools, many schools that use agencies are approximately a 30 minute tram/train ride from the city area.

Another suggestion is to have a look at our school term dates. You can find them on, key in term dates in the search engine on the home page, this website will also give you information about working in schools in Victoria.

Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) registration is required before you are able to teach in Victorian schools. Our suggestion would be to apply for VIT registration before you leave home. The website for the Victoria Institute of teaching is


Once you have VIT registration or registration is pending, you can apply to the agency for work. Unlike Australia, Australia does not currently have sponsorship positions available in schools. For further information on obtaining permanent teaching positions you would need to apply directly to schools.

Working during term breaks

During the term breaks, casual relief teachers are able to apply for work with Camp Australia Camp Australia is responsible for organising term break holiday programs for children throughout Victoria; it would be advisable for you to contact them as soon as possible after arrival in Australia. Local councils also accept registrations from teachers for term break programs in schools.

Many qualifications gained from interstate or overseas tertiary institutions are recognised for teaching in Victorian government schools. Studies must provide a suitable background for the curriculum areas to be taught. It is essential therefore that you also access information on the various specialist area guidelines

However, before commencing employment you must gain teacher registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching.

Teachers registered in New Zealand or by an interstate teacher registration authority may apply for registration in Victoria on the basis of mutual recognition. Detailed information is available

If you have not completed your teacher education qualifications at an Australian institution or in English, you will be required to undertake an English language test. You will not be required to undertake the test until all your qualifications have been assessed and you will then be advised if you need the test by the Victorian Institute of Teaching.

In these instances the institute will accept a certificate or statement in writing of achievement of either of the following:

  • International Secondary Language Proficiency Rating (ISLPR) of Level 4 in each of the areas of speaking, listening, reading and writing.
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) of Level 7 in each of the areas of speaking, listening, reading and writing.
  • Professional English Assessment for Teachers (PEAT) test at Band A in each of the areas of speaking, listening, reading and writing.

Visa Requirements

If you are not an Australian citizen you will require permanent residence status in Australia to gain employment as a teacher in Victorian government schools. Similarly if you are visiting Victoria a work permit that covers the type and period of employment is required. Citizens of New Zealand - while regarded as Australian citizens for employment purposes - are required to provide evidence of their New Zealand citizenship.

The principal of a school where you are seeking to teach will need evidence that you have obtained the appropriate visa or work permit, before completing employment procedures. Evidence could be either your original passport or certified copies of the relevant pages from your passport showing your name and the stamp that confirms the right to permanent residence or your work permit. If you are a British subject who migrated to Australia prior to 1974 then evidence of residence in Australia prior to 1974 is required. Evidence could be school reports or bank account details, for example.